What happens to a Revolut account if the account holder passes away?
Coping with bereavement can be very difficult. That's why we are here to help you. If you are not sure what your next steps should be, please keep reading. Please note that the below is not legal advice and we advise that you seek the help of a professional adviser, such as a lawyer with expertise in wills and estates, to help you through this process. The below is simply a collection of publicly available guidance from various government bodies that we hope will help.
How can I register a death?
There are different timeframes when a death must be registered in the UK;
- England and Wales - within 5 days
- Scotland - within 8 days
You can register the death at your closest registry office, which you can find here.
What happens when I register a death?
Once you register the death, the registry officewill issue you with a death certificate, which you will need in order to handle all the deceased person’s affairs e.g. their Revolut account. The UK government also provides a “Tell Us Once” service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.
Please note that if you are not a UK citizen, legal advice should be sought locally.
How can I get in touch with you?
Once you register the death, please get in touch with us so we can inform you of the next steps. However, the thing to do is either;
- Fill in the bereavement form so we can have all the information on our system; or
- Send us an e-mail to email@example.com, where you will receive further instructions
How we can help you
Once we receive the complete set of documents, we will do the following;
- Cancel all scheduled payments including direct debits and standing orders;
- Cancel all paid services the deceased person had with us;
- Stop all marketing and servicing material being sent to the late customer;
- Inform you of everything we need to settle the estate.
What details do I need to provide Revolut?
Deceased person's details;
- Full name
- Date of birth
- The phone number linked to the Deceased person's account.
- The e-mail address linked to the Deceased person's account.
- Full name
- Email address
- Copy of your ID/Passport - Please make sure to provide us with a high-quality copy, in which all 4 corners of the document will be visible. We cannot accept scans of copies.
- Death Certificate - This will be issued by the registrar, but we are able to accept Interim death certificates, coroner’s certificates, and authorised translations of non-UK death certificates.
- Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration - You can request a Grant of Probate document or Letters of Administration from the District Probate Registry. You can find more information about this here. For non-UK customers we would encourage you to seek independent legal advice specific to your home country.
- Indemnity form - This may be submitted instead of a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration, but only if the total amount in the deceased customers Revolut account does not exceed GBP5000.00 (or the currency equivalent for non-GBP accounts).
- Power of Attorney - This is required if the solicitor is claiming the assets in the name of an heir.
How long does it take?
We will be in touch with you within 15 days.
What happens to my account if I die?
Once we receive notification of death from your representative, we will suspend all activity on the account as soon as we can. The value of the remaining funds may form part of your estate. We will ensure that we go through the correct legal process, acting on the instructions given to us by your representative. Depending on what kind of accounts you hold with us, we will take appropriate action on them to ensure we support your representative as best we can.
What happens if I have a trading account (stocks, cryptocurrency and gold)?
We will suspend any activity as soon as we can. Any existing holdings will be liquidated, pending confirmation from your representative and the proceeds added towards the estate.
- How do I see the details of my booking?
- How to book Revolut stays?
- How do I cancel a booking?
- How do I amend a booking?
- Information about property policies & amenities
- Paying for my Revolut Stays booking
- The charge for my booking seems incorrect
- How does cashback for Stays bookings work?
- How do I see property reviews?
- What personal information do you share with properties?
- I have a problem with check-in
- How are properties sorted?
- I had an issue with my room
- Who can access Stays?
- Can I list my property on Revolut?